Goodread’s synopsis : In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.
The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them…
The first I have read this book, I wasn’t active on goodreads. So I haven’t written a review. It’s time to change that.
One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.
Clockwork Angel is the first book in The Infernal Devices series. This series is my favorite, hands down.
It takes place during the Victorian era.
Tessa Gray is a young woman living in New York that just decided to move to London to live with her brother. But she is abducted by the Dark Sisters. She is saved by an handsome man, named William Herondale. He is a shadowhunter.
That’s how the story begins. Tessa is about to discover the truth about her identity and begin an epic journey in the Shadowhunters’ world.
The shadowhunters universe is so complex, so unique. I love it. I have read both TID and TMI. In TID their universe seems so modern for the area. Their gear, some of their weapons etc…
The automatons are adding a sort of steampunk dimension to this already awesome story.
The plot. The plot is perfect, in my opinion. It’s so intricate ! I’m not gonna talk about it but the main plot twist I know I had my mind blown the first time I read it !
It’s all right to love someone who doesn’t love you back, as long as they’re worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.
I also love how different the characters are.
– Will is the passion. He is careless, especially for his own life. He wants to protect Jem, his parabatai, and now Tessa.
– Jem is the delicacy. He weighs every word, every action. He doesn’t want to hurt people. A real life gentleman.
– Jessamine is what I will call “a true girl”. A girly girl. There’s nothing wrong about it, except she doesn’t want to be a shadowhunter. She tries to avoid all the shadowhunters situations.
– Charlotte is the head of the London Institute. She is small but such a badass woman. I really like her character. Still, she has her own insecurities.
– Tessa. The first time I read this book, I wasn’t very fond of her. I thought she was too whiny. But I changed my mind, I really liked her this time. She speaks her mind, no matter what…
Another thing I like is that relationships are really important in this book : parabatai, brother/sister, husband/wife …
Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.