Goodreads’ synopsis : When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know…
I read this book first when the movie came out. I gave it 5 stars. I’m still giving it 5 stars !
This review contains some minor spoilers in the characters part.
It means ‘Shadowhunters: Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of our Enemies Since 1234’.
The shadowhunters’ world is such an original one. I really love the universe Cassandra Clare has created. It’s utterly brilliant, in my opinion.
The plot is also really interesting. It is twisted, dark and most of the time you can’t see what’s coming ! There are some huge plot twists !
I forgot how funny this book is. The Infernal Devices’ books have a more serious tone.
Just coffee. Black – like my soul.
– Clary is a teenage girl, a normal one. She’s not really girly. When she discovers the truth about her legacy, she doesn’t cower nor cry.
She fights to save her mother.
– Jace is the badass and witty character. Funny in a dark way, he carries his own insecurities. I didn’t like the way he acted toward the end of the book. His lack of action wasn’t his usual demeanor. He was weak-minded.
– Simon is Clary’s sidekick, with awesome quotes. He is neglected not because he is a mundane but because Clary wants to protect him from this madness.
– Magnus is the magnificent character. I love Magnus ! He is helpful but without looking like he actually helps the shadowhunters.
– Alec is an angsty teenager. He is not assuming what he is. Somehow, he is jealous of Clary.
– Luke is such a nice character. He is the fatherly figure Clary needs.
– Jocelyn is a good mother. SHe lied to her daughter because she wanted to protect her, she wanted to offer her the most mundane life.
to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.
I really enjoyed this book, obviously ! The shadowhunters’ books are a reference in the YA fantasy genre !
About the author
Cassandra Clare was born overseas and spent her early years traveling around the world with her family and several trunks of fantasy books. Cassandra worked for several years as an entertainment journalist for the Hollywood Reporter before turning her attention to fiction. She is the author of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments trilogy and a New York Times bestseller. Cassandra lives with her fiance and their two cats in Massachusetts.