Throne Of Glass
Author : Sarah J. Maas
Series : Throne Of Glass
Genres : Fantasy, High Fantasy, Young Adult
Publication : August 2nd 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Children’s
Synopsis : In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king’s champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.
The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass–and it’s there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena’s fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.
I am so glad I decided to reread this book ! I forgot how much I love this story !
The plot is really great, in my opinion. It’s epic, witty, fast paced and mixed with magic ! Could it be greater ? Maybe with plot twist but oh wait ! There were plot twists !
The setting is really well described. It’s not for nothing that there’s a map ! We mainly got to see Rifthold, the capital city of Adarlan. But I’m glad it was focused on the castle because it’s huge and I was really able to imagine it !
Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.
Another thing I enjoyed is how the characters get to care for each other. The relationships feel genuine. It takes time to trust and know someone and to finally appreciate the person. I think it’s well written and realistic.
It’s something that sometimes is lacking in some books. And that makes me cringe a little when all feel insta : insta-love or insta-friendship.
This book is really fast paced, it’s such a page turner ! I was glad it was a reread because I had an hectic week and didn’t find a lot of time for reading.
I also loved how dark it could become at some times. It was a little creepy and mysterious and that added something to the story !
The magic part is really compelling because it’s something that was forbidden and long gone. Plus magic is always something that gets my interest !
You could rattle the stars,” she whispered. “You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.
The competition was highly entertaining ! I loved witnessing how Celeana trained and gained back her abilities. She is truly an amazing character !
I also loved the romance. You can totally see that it is not the main topic. It’s on the background and yet it’s existing. It adds a certain entertainment !
The writing style is really gripping. Sarah J. Maas knows how to write and original and compelling story !
We all bear scars,… Mine just happen to be more visible than most.
- Celeana is such an interesting character ! She is a strange mix between a deadly assassin and a frivolous woman ! She loves probably equally a good weapon and a fancy dress ! That’s quite original ! She has a secret we don’t get to know in this book except that it concerns her childhood.
- Dorian. Oh Dorian ! I love this character ! He is so selfless and so different from his father ! He genuinely cares for his friend and is trying his best to be someone good !
- Chaol is also interesting. He is torn between his duty and what his guts are telling him. This duality is really nice to witness.
- Nehemia is one of my favorite characters. She is also badass in her way. I’m not gonna say a lot about her because of spoilers but let me say that she is full of surprises !
- The king is really a frightening character ! I can’t wait to learn more about him !
Overall it’s a great fantasy read and I highly recommend it, not only to YA lovers !
About the author
Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too much tea, and watches an ungodly amount of TV. When she’s not busy writing, she can be found exploring the historic and beautiful Pennsylvania countryside with her husband and canine companion.