The Darkest Magic
Author : Morgan Rhodes
Series : Spirits And Thieves
Genres : Fantasy, Young Adult
Publication : June 28th 2016 by Razorbill
Synopsis : Modern-day Toronto: Sisters Crystal and Becca Hatcher are reunited after reclaiming the Bronze Codex and narrowly escaping death. They have no one to trust but each other, and the only thing keeping them safe is the book that sent Becca’s spirit to Ancient Mytica–the same book that their enemies would kill them for.
Ancient Mytica: Maddox grapples to keep his newly discovered powers under control, while the ruthless goddess Valoria hunts him down.
Modern-day Toronto: Farrell embraces his dark side as he unwittingly falls further under the spell of Markus, the mastermind leader of the nefarious Hawkspear Society, who will stop at nothing to find Crys and Becca–and the remarkable book in their possession.
This is the second book in the Spirits And Thieves trilogy (or series?) ! It takes place almost after A Book Of Spirits And Thieves’ ending.
I really enjoyed this book. The alternative POV have created a very interesting dynamic (same as Falling Kingdoms) and it’s really gripping !
The characters are becoming more and more interesting, and that cliffhanger !
The chapters I enjoyed the most are the modern day Toronto ones. I found them more action-packed. Moreover the dynamic between Farrell and Crys fascinated me. Their relationship is so interesting ! It still fascinates me, though haha !
Maddox’ chapters are also interesting but there’s less action. Altough it allows us to learn more about Mytica. It’s the link between this series and the Falling Kingdoms series.
Some plot twists really took me by surprise ! Especially toward the end of the book ! I am really looking forward the final book !
Liana’s identity was a big surprise, I have to say !
There’s a lot of character’s growth : Farrell, Maddox, even Crystal. But I’ll talk more about it later.
I had some issues to grow attached to some characters, though.
Al was kind of funny, balancing the darkness growing around Maddox’s destiny and surrounding his posse.
Memories of one’s past are tainted. There are no truths to be found in them.
- Crystal is such a fierce girl. She wants to resolve this huge mess and keep Marcus from getting the Bronze Codex. She wants to protect her family, whatever it costs.
- Becca is devoid of interest, as far as I’m concerned, at least in the Toronto parts.
- Maddox is becoming darker and darker. His chapters are really interesting. We get to witness his evolution.
- Farrell is the character that interested me the most. He changed so much throughout the book. He learned to think by himself. He really cares for Crystal, despite everything he’s saying. He admires her somehow. And their dynamic is highly interesting !
- Liana was another interesting character. She was mysterious, wanted to know more about her and her life. She was so full of surprises !!
Overall, I really enjoyed this book !! It wasn’t gripping but the plot twists were really surprising !
About the author