Author : Marissa Meyer
Series : The Lunar Chronicles
Genres : Fantasy, Science Fiction, Retelling, Young Adult
Publication : February 7th 2013 by Puffin Books
Synopsis : This is not the fairytale you remember.
But it’s one you won’t forget.
Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. The police have closed her case. The only person Scarlet can turn to is Wolf, a street fighter she does not trust, but they are drawn to each other.
Meanwhile, in New Beijing, Cinder will become the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive – when she breaks out of prison to stay one step ahead of vicious Queen Levana.
As Scarlet and Wolf expose one mystery, they encounter Cinder and a new one unravels. Together they must challenge the evil queen, who will stop at nothing to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner . . .
This is the second book in The Lunar Chronicles series. If you haven’t read Cinder, the first book, this review will probably spoil you.
I really LOVED this book ! I found it better than Cinder, that I really enjoyed !
It starts almost right after Cinder’s ending. But it introduces new characters : Captain Carswell Thorne who is now staying with Cinder and Scarlet, who is living near Toulouse, in France. There’s also Wolfe, an intriguing character !
“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”
“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”
I really enjoyed how their paths mingled ! The story keeps getting more and more interesting with every chapter !
I won’t tell too much because I want to avoid spoilers but I have to say that I got surprised multiple times in this book, it was way less predictable than Cinder.
It’s action packed, fast paced and kept surprising me ! The story becomes more intricate and it was very difficult to put the book down !
I really loved diving back into this amazing world ! Learning more about the complexity of the Lunars a little more with every chapter.
I also really enjoyed the Red Riding Hood’s references just like I enjoyed Cinderella’s in the previous book.
I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.
The new characters are really interesting ! They’re all far from being perfect, they’re flawed and complex.
- Cinder is determined to escape Levana. She wants to live and save Kai. She also wants to know more about her, her past, her legacy. But she’s not ready to face her destiny.
- Iko is somehow back and I couldn’t have been more happier ! She is such an amazing character, I LOVE her sarcasm !
- Thorne is an intriguing character ! He is charming, of course, but far from being a hero. He is a thief, and so selfish ! Yet, he does help Cinder, putting himself in danger.
- Scarlet is such a strong character ! She wants to find her Grandma at whatever cost. She is willing to sacrifice her own life.
But she is also very naive, trusting strangers far too easily !
- Wolf is another highly interesting character ! He is more edgy and darker. He is not a hero in a shiny white armor, not a villain. He has been made and heis doing his best to fight it.
I hate to agree with Thorne,” said Cinder, “I mean, I really hate to agree with him, but he’s right
I think you got it while reading my review, I loved this book ! I can only hope the series will keep getting better because that promises an amazing read !
About the author