Author : Marissa Meyer
Series : The Lunar Chronicles
Genres : Science Fiction, Young Adult
Publication : February 4th 2014 by Puffin Books
This is the third book in The Lunar Chronicles series. This review will spoil you if you haven’t read the previous books.
Synopsis : In this third book in Marissa Meyer’s bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth.
Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who’s only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s being forced to work for Queen Levana, and she’s just received orders to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.
When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is splintered. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a higher price than she’d ever expected. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai, especially the cyborg mechanic. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.
I really REALLY enjoyed that one ! It’s action packed, funny and mixed with emotional moments.
I promise, I will not let you die without being kissed.
This installment is focused on Cress. It’s the retelling of Rapunzel and I liked the little reminders of Rapunzel. The long hair, the forced loneliness, the haircut, a knight in a not so shiny armor etc…
In this third book, Cinder and her gang want to rescue Cress from her satellite. But nothing goes as planned !
I loved this book so much. Cress is an amazing character, candid and kind. I enjoyed learning much about her, and her past. She also has this massive crush on Thorne and I found it so cute !!
Another thing I loved is how the plot is getting more and more complex with each book. Dr Erland is back and I was really happy about it. His knowledge is very important for the plot. He helps us understanding the Lunars, and the mysterious letumosis.
On the downside, I guessed the big plot twist so easily !
In this book we briefly meet with Winter. She is pretty mad and yet so kind ! She helps Scarlet.
I really enjoyed seeing all these characters mingling together ! Most of them are so strong-minded and stubborn, it led to some funny moments ! The characters’ growth is also worth of mentioning : they all changed so much !
The ending made me want to start Winter ASAP ! Seriously, this story is so addictive !
She dreamed of deep soul connections and passionate kisses and daring escapades. She was certain that he simply had to meet her, just once, and he would feel the same way. It would be like those epic love affairs that exploded into existence and burned white hot for all eternity. The type of love that time and distance and even death couldn’t separate.
- Cinder is accepting her role. She knows there will be casualties and that she can’t help it. She knows her friends can’t be her priority. She goes to Africa to see Dr Erland, she wants to stop Levana.
- Scarlet is treated like an animal. Somehow she understands Wolf’s condition a little more ! Nonetheless, despite her pain, her sadness, she stays strong, and becomes even more stronger !
- Iko is her equal ! I can’t tell you how much I love her !! She is funny, witty and cute, in a word, perfect ! And now she has a pretty body to match her personality !
- Jacin is a new character. He was Sybil’s guard but his loyalty goes to Princess Winter. He is such an intriguing character !
- Wolf is only a shadow of himself without Scarlet. I didn’t really like ths side of him to be honest. Okay, I get it, you’re devastated but he is fighting to get her back, at least not as much I thought he would.
- Thorne is suffering from a disability in this book. He is trying his best to adapt, to save Cress and his own ass.
He also tries his best to dissuade Cress to see him as a hero. In this book we get to see behind his mask. We can witness how poorly he thinks of himself. It makes him attracting haha !
- Cress is so sweet ! She discovers the worlds the eyes of a baby ! Her reactions are so cute !! And yet, she is a great asset for Cinder. She is very talented !
It always came back to love. More than freedom, more than acceptance—love. True love, like they sang about in the second era. The kind that filled up a person’s soul. The kind that lent itself to dramatic gestures and sacrifices. The kind that was irresistible and all-encompassing.
About the author
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.