A Conjuring Of Light
Author : V.E. Schwab
Series : Shades Of Magic
Genres : Fantasy
Publication : February 21st 2017 by Titan Books
Synopsis : Witness the fate of beloved heroes – and enemies.
THE BALANCE OF POWER HAS FINALLY TIPPED…
The precarious equilibrium among four Londons has reached its breaking point. Once brimming with the red vivacity of magic, darkness casts a shadow over the Maresh Empire, leaving a space for another London to rise.
WHO WILL CRUMBLE?
Kell – once assumed to be the last surviving Antari – begins to waver under the pressure of competing loyalties. And in the wake of tragedy, can Arnes survive?
WHO WILL RISE?
Lila Bard, once a commonplace – but never common – thief, has survived and flourished through a series of magical trials. But now she must learn to control the magic, before it bleeds her dry. Meanwhile, the disgraced Captain Alucard Emery of the Night Spire collects his crew, attempting a race against time to acquire the impossible.
WHO WILL TAKE CONTROL?
And an ancient enemy returns to claim a crown while a fallen hero tries to save a world in decay.
This is the final book in the Shades Of Magic trilogy. This review will spoil you if you haven’t read the previous books.
It starts right where the AGOS’ cliffhanger left us, with Kell held prisoner in White London.
I was SO SO SO afraid of reading this book ! It’s the finale of one of my favorite trilogy of all time and I was terrified of how Victoria Schwab would wrap this up. But I loved it so much. It was what I was hoping for and so much more !
The first part is very fast paced, you barely have time to take a breath. But it doesn’t mean the rest of the book is slow paced, oh boy not at all !
A Conjuring Of Light has all the witty and funny banters, the page turner plot and the amazing writing style.
Reading this book was a hell of a ride ! Through all the book, I was fearing for the ending. I was so afraid of how this mayhem would end !
Love and loss,” he said, “are like a ship and the sea. They rise together. The more we love, the more we have to lose. But the only way to avoid loss is to avoid love. And what a sad world that would be.
I really enjoyed the relationships between all the characters, complex, intricate, real. Another thing I loved was their plan to defeat Osaron. I’ve never read anything similar ! And I can say the same thing for this whole trilogy : different Londons, Antari magic etc !
As I said above, reading this book was such an emotional ride for me, and for many reasons. It lived up to all my expectations and that’s rare enough that it deserves to be said !
The flashbacks were kind of painful to witness but I appreciated them a lot. Getting a back story for Holland was very important in my opinion ! It made him more human.
There were no dead moment in this book ! When a good thing was happening, it was instantly followed by a disaster !
I cried so much while reading this book ! But I also laughed, and said so many “awww” !
- Kell /Lila : Gaaah ! I have been shipping them since the first book so it filled my heart with fluffy unicorns and marshmallows hearts ! haha !
- Alucard /Rhy : these two are my babies ! Two silly characters, stubborn and desperately in love with each other !
- Kell /Rhy : I think the word bromance is what best describes them !
- Kell / Holland : their relationship is definitively complicated but they truly respect each other !
Caring was a thing with claws. It sank them in, and didn’t let go. Caring hurt more than a knife to the leg, more than a few broken ribs, more than anything that bled or broke and healed again. Caring didn’t break you clean. It was a bone that didn’t set, a cut that wouldn’t close.
- Kell is always the same. Worried about the aftermaths of his acts, again. He is so cute when it comes to Lila, like she is bringing something so important ! He used to be so cold, except for Rhy. But Lila cracked his shell ! He is also very protective of his brother. Some things never change I guess ! He doesn’t trust Alucard. On the opposite somehow he trusts Holland.
- Lila is learning to master her powers. She doesn’t trust Holland, she totally wants to kill him for what he did to Baron. But he keeps helping her. She is too fierce to admit it though.
- Holland is the most interesting character in my opinion. The flashbacks were so important to understand his behavior ! He tries to redeem himself in this book !
- Rhy is a little less reckless in this book ! He has to grow up very quickly and we get to see a face we never saw before. He really cares for his people !
- Alucard is so well. He is fierce, cunning, he will do whatever it takes to protect Rhy.
So to put it in a nutshell I LOVED this book ! It concludes perfectly this amazing trilogy !
Anoshe brought solace. And hope. And the strength to let go.
About the author