Ready Player One
author : Ernest Cline
series : Ready Player One
Genres : Dystopia, Science-fiction, Young Adult
Publication : August 16th 2011 by Crown Publishers
Synopsis : In the year 2045, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he’s jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade’s devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world’s digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator’s obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade’s going to survive, he’ll have to win—and confront the real world he’s always been so desperate to escape.
I really enjoyed this book. It has been sleeping on my TBR shelf for 2 years ! I can’t believe it !
Going outside is highly overrated.
We follow Wade aka Parzival in the OASIS. He lives in a very poor neighborhood with his aunt and her stupid boyfriend. During the day, he hides in a car in the middle of a garbage dump. He keeps all his most precious goods in it : his eletronical equipment he requires to log into the OASIS every day. He goes to school on Ludus and tries to earn credits whenever he can. It’s his only way to improve his search for the Halliday’s egg. The Copper Key mystery is onlythe beginning of an epic quest !
I had a hard time getting into the story, to be honest. It took me a little more than a hundred pages actually.
The beginning was so slow paced but it was mandatory. The world building is so complex, it takes a lot of time to explain us how it works, to show us the tiniest parts of this huge virtual world !
One I was hooked, I was totally in ! The story is addicting. First, the Easter egg quest. You want to solve every enigma as much as Wade craves it ! You also want to know more about who’s behind the High Five. We don’t get to actually meet them in person (and not via their avatars) until the last part of the book !
I enjoyed the geeky and 80’s references even though I didn’t get all of them. This world is so amazing, really ! You want to dive into the OASIS too, trust me ! This book is tha good ! Everything’s possible, full of possibilites, more you can ever imagine !
That was when I realized, as terrifying and painful as reality can be, it’s also the only place where you can find true happiness. Because reality is real.
- Wade is a nice main character. He is your average teenager, all things considered. Except he is living in a post apocalyptic world. A thing did disturbe me though : his way of stalking Art3mis. But he changed so much during the book ! He learns to take his responsabilities, to stay focused on his mission and that this quest is way more meaningful than he ever thought.
- Aech is such a great sidekick ! I was a little sad when his friendship with Wade was put aside for a little while. His story touched me !
- Art3mis kicks ass in a wonderful way. She is badass, fierce and really smart ! She is a fierce ghunter fighting for a noble cause !
- Nolan Sorrento is pure evil. I think he is a great bad guy to be honest. The kind you love to hate !
- James Halliday is such an interesting character. His way of thinking is so complex. We don’t get to read about characters like him often enough ! He is a pure genius, with difficulties to interact in the real world.
Overall I really enjoyed this book ! I highly recommend it !
About the author