The Winner’s Kiss
Author : Marie Rutkoski
Series : The Winner’s trilogy
Genres : Fantasy, Young Adult
Publication : March 24th 2016 by Bloomsbury Children’s
Synopsis : War has begun. Arin is in the thick of it with untrustworthy new allies and the empire as his enemy. Though he has convinced himself that he no longer loves Kestrel, Arin hasn’t forgotten her, or how she became exactly the kind of person he has always despised. She cared more for the empire than she did for the lives of innocent people—and certainly more than she did for him.
At least, that’s what he thinks.
In the frozen north, Kestrel is a prisoner in a brutal work camp. As she searches desperately for a way to escape, she wishes Arin could know what she sacrificed for him. She wishes she could make the empire pay for what they’ve done to her.
But no one gets what they want just by wishing.
As the war intensifies, both Kestrel and Arin discover that the world is changing. The East is pitted against the West, and they are caught in between. With so much to lose, can anybody really win?
It’s the final book in The Winner’s trilogy by Marie Rutkoski ! I really enjoyed this trilogy and this installment ends perfectly this incredible story ! This review will spoil you if you haven’t read the two previous books.
It starts with Kestrel imprisoned. A lot of awful things happen to her during her captivity. Arin is told the truth and decides to go and save her.
You don’t need to be gifted with a blade. You are your own best weapon.
This book was a roller coaster for my little heart ! Deception, betrayal, friendship, romance, cunning strategies etc… You can find all of these and even more into this book !
I enjoyed everything in this story : how Kestrel came back stronger than ever, the war strategies, the cultural melting pot, the writing style… Really, this book is amazing !
It’s an epic story, and I got surprised more than once while reading it ! Although I really liked the plot, I LOVED how the characters were written ! And not just Kestrel and Arin, but also the side characters !
This book was everything I could have asked for ! It was mostly action-packed, surprising and so beautifully written ! Sometimes, the last book can be a little disappointing compared to the rest of a series, but I can assure you that it wasn’t the case at all with that one ! It was an amazing read and it ended perfectly this awesome and stunning trilogy !
The reason you enjoy my company is because I look like how you feel.
- Kestrel is such an amazing character ! She is so strong despite everything that happened to her. She is fierce, and so smart, and follows her heart, no matter the consequences.
- Arin is such a babe, a swoon-worthy character ! He wears his heart on his sleeve ! Kind, honest and so desperately in love with Kestrel !
- Risha is another fierce female character ! I wish we got to read more about her !
- Roshar is such an interesting and complex character ! He is eaten alive by his guilt about his sister’s condition ! He holds Arin in high esteem but is too proud to show it.
- Verex changed so much through this trilogy. Now he fights with his weapons to protect and save the people he cares about.
- The Emperor is another interesting character. Complex and cunning, I wanted to know more about him !
If I die, you’ll survive. If you die, it will destroy me.
About the author
Marie grew up in Bolingbrook, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago), as the oldest of four children. She holds a BA from the University of Iowa and a PhD from Harvard University. Marie is currently a professor at Brooklyn College, where she teaches Renaissance Drama, children’s literature and fiction writing. She lives in New York City with her husband and two sons.